BSc (Hons) Nutritional Science
- Validated by Middlesex University
- 100% Distance Learning
- Available to study full-time (3 years) or part-time (4-6 years)
- Opportunities to start throughout the year in January, March and September with main entry point being January
- Can be combined with the CNELM Nutritional Therapy Practice Diploma (NTPD) as an accredited route to Nutritional Therapy practice
- ‘A’ levels A-C or equivalent in Human Biology & Chemistry (or similar subjects), OR CNELM’s Bioscience Entry modules: Chemistry & Human Biology
- GCSE in mathematics, or equivalent, OR CNELM’s Maths Foundation module
- GCSE in English Language or equivalent
- IELTS 6.0 or TOEFL equivalent is the standard requirement for applicants where English is not your first language
- Basic computer skills including word processing, internet browsing and use of email
NB: GCSE and ‘A’ level, or equivalent qualifications accepted within a 5-year currency or demonstrating continued application in the workplace.
Whether wishing to pursue a career in industry, nutrition research, education, public health and community work or in personalised nutrition practice this course provides the necessary health sciences that underpin nutritional science and personalised nutritional therapy practice. This course integrates a systems biology and functional nutrition approach to understanding health and illness, together with the research approaches necessary to support public health and personalised nutrition interventions.
Biosciences underpin the study of nutrition and you will learn about nutritional biochemistry, applied physiology and pathology. In addition you will learn about the nutrition industry from farm to fork, food science and safety, the complexities of product development, and the use of natural products and the complexity of drug-nutrient-food interactions. You will have the opportunity to work independently and in groups with peers; to engage in collaborative research projects and to develop critical thinking, problem solving and decision-making skills as individuals and as part of a team. Unique to this programme you will have irrespective of location the opportunity to engage with 50 hours of online work experience with a company.
After graduation you should feel prepared to enter the workplace at multiple levels, including:
- Research, development and technical support for a wide range of companies, including testing laboratories, supplement manufacturers & distributors, food manufacturers and suppliers
- Nutrition and health education including health writing and teaching the public and professionals
- Work within community settings to assist in the development of sustainable ‘healthy’ communities
- Combined with the CNELM Nutritional Therapy Practice Diploma, to practice as a nutritional therapist.
- A popular option for current and prospective students is to combine this course with the CNELM Nutritional Therapy Practice Diploma as an accredited route leading to nutritional therapy practice.
- Graduates of the BSc (Hons) Nutritional Science can also apply to join the postgraduate Personalised Nutrition programme at CNELM or apply to other universities or colleges to study at Masters or Doctorate level including Middlesex University.
- Graduates can also apply to take a Postgraduate Diploma in Dietetics though places are limited
- On successful completion of the BSc (Hons) Nutritional Science degree, graduates can apply to
For further details on the BSc (Hons) Nutritional Science, including Study Options, Course Outline and Fees, please refer to our full Prospectus.